Schadenfreude

Two Felte/on's....Felten And Felton. Viewpoints and Discussion From Two Old War Horses

Wednesday, November 17, 2004

First Week

Finished the first testing portion of this course. Pretty simple stuff. Morals (ha!) and enlistment eligibility. Knocked that out this morning and started the new material this afternoon.

I've been in touch with the Minneapolis Recruiting Battalion in the hopes of finding a position in either the Twin Cities area or Rochester, Minnesota. I have a house in the Twin Cities. There's a few small issues with the timeline they've given me, and I'm not real happy with it.

I'm scheduled to graduate on 17 December. I'm supposed to be at my new unit on 27 December. In the meantime, I have to clear the unit I belong to now, and if I have to move, I have to do the following:

1. Sell my house.
2. Pull my daughter out of school.
3. Turn off all my utilities.
4. Arrange movement of my household goods.
5. My pregnant wife has to either quit her job or find an office she can transfer to.
6. Find a new place to live.
7. Get my utilities hooked up.
8. Get my household goods moved from wherever the Army stored them.
9. Find a new school for my child.
10. Help my wife find a new doctor.

All this, remember, has to be accomplished in 10 days. The U.S. Army Recruiting Command (USAREC) has yet to tell us where we are going. There are over 400 of us in this class, and they still need to do our backround investigations. We probably won't find anything out until the last week we're here. That's really going to complicate our lives.

In the 17 years I've been playing soldier, this is the most ate-up situation I've ever experienced. I can't believe this. I think the reason I'm not more angry is the fact that I'm still in shock.

4 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home