Schadenfreude

Two Felte/on's....Felten And Felton. Viewpoints and Discussion From Two Old War Horses

Friday, January 07, 2005

Let's Play Catch-Up

I must humbly apologize, gentle reader, for my horrible lack of....umph. After the holidays concluded, I've had a difficult time finding my muse. Must be some general malaise that affects the writing world after the holidays. That or a self-induced food coma.

I have been waiting for word on my impending move. I'm not sure what the hold-up is. Here's the deal:

I graduated from school on 17 December. I was told that our background investigations are not completed. We have to wait for the results before we can be assigned as recruiters. So, we were to return to our old units of assignment (which I did).

Last week, I received an email from the US Army Recruiting Command stating that I was to report to a local recruiting station on Monday, 10 January (my birthday, incidentally). I contacted the station and spoke to the guy in charge there. We worked out a reporting time and I was all set to go. Even had a farewell lunch at work on Wednesday.

Yesterday, around 2:30, I got word (from FeltOn), that I was NOT to report to the station; in fact, I was to get my happy behind back to work today. Apparently, USASOC (US Army Special Operations Command) put the old kabosh on that little scheme by the Recruiting Command. No one in the Army can move on an email. I am to wait until I get orders before I go anywhere.

Another interesting thing about that email is that I am to be locally reassigned. Which means no California....I think. Just because someone wrote "locally reassigned" doesn't mean that's what the orders will say.

I am in a holding pattern here at work. I feel like Winston Smith after O'Brian got his hands on him. I'm an unperson. My office is now someone else's. I have no phone. No one has work for me. I come and go when I please. I think I'll start hanging out at the Chestnut Tree Cafe and write 2+2=5 a lot.

Again, apologies for not writing more. Since I have all this time on my hands, there will be no excuse for not posting.

4 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home